The husband and I don’t do ‘dinner parties’ per say. We do ‘junk food done right’ nights instead. A nice laid back night of some brewskis, chicken wings and perhaps some jalapeno poppers (think fresh jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon. I think I just drooled on the keyboard…), but definitely french fries. Not to brag or anything, but our fries are pretty damn tasty. The secret is soaking your cut fries overnight in cold water (the water draws the starch out allowing for crispier fries) and double frying.
Using your handy dandy french fry cutter, cut the desired amount of potatoes. We use the baby reds which we normally use for most of our potato needs and don’t bother to skin, but that part is totally up to you.
(and yes, this is a stock photo from the Internet. Thank you, Internet.)
- Heat your fry oil to 325*
- Drop your basket of fries, shaking every few minutes to make sure they don’t stick, and set the timer for approximately 9 minutes.
- Remove the basket from the oil, and kick the temp up to 350* – this is the key to the double fry. The first step makes the inside of your fry nice and soft, while this second step makes the outside super crispy and delicious.
- Drop the basket a second time for the final fry and keep them a’boilin’ until desired doneness – approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Empty your basket into a paper towel lined bowl and salt.
Instead of using ketchup with our fries, we use what we call “Awesome Sauce.” There is a way overrated restaurant here in town that serves tater tots with a delicious aoli side (honestly, the sauce is the only reason to go). But my husband is a genius and figured out how to make the super yummy dipping sauce….
- 1 -2 tablespoons of Sriracha (depending on how spicy you like your life)
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup (to cut the spicy just a bit)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
That’s it. Delicious awesome sauce to dip your fries/chicken fingers/burgers/anything in and no need to ever pay for it again.
So with that said. Go fry some potatoes. You will be a hero for making such great eats at home!