We have been going crazy lately over my tomato soup, which, if you know me, you know I have kinda hated tomatoes with all of my being for all of ever. Tastes seem to be changing though and this soup doesn’t have that acrid, acidic tomato taste I have disliked for so long.
- Saute 1 chopped onion, 3 chopped celery stalks, 2 chopped carrots and 1 half chopped pepper in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 5-10 minutes
- Add 3-4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock to your veggies (we make our own) and simmer for 10 minutes – add 1 teaspoon dried basil in this step too
- Add your 6 pound can of whole skinned tomatoes including the juice (Costco! $2.50!) and continue to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Taking an immersion blender puree your soup. Salt & pepper to taste
- We add 1/4 cup of sour cream to the mix and then finish it off with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 2 tablespoons of water (to cut the acidity)
- Top with chopped green onion and perhaps a little grated parm and serve!
It’s just so good….makes a big batch for 2 but can also be frozen if you aren’t going to make it through!