A friend took me to the most amazing full-yard garden this past weekend, where I not only drooled over their fabulous vegetables and chickens, but picked more raspberries than I know what to do with. I came home with 2 full gallon containers, and I lost count how many went directly into my mouth.
Today I pulled out my ‘proper English tea’ cookbook and decided to give some scones a go, all proper like.
- Sift and mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt in a mixing bowl
- Cut in 3-4 TB butter and slowly add 2/3 cup buttermilk and mix
- You should have a nice heavy dough at this point. Add a handful or 2 of raspberries to the mix and gently mix into dough – no, it won’t be pretty
- Roll out on a floured counter top. 1/2 thick is best, cut into triangles, and arrange on a baking sheet, close together, but not touching
- Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes
If you have some clotted creme sitting around, you are more than welcome to throw that pinky up and dive in. I had ice cream, and more berries, and man oh man are these little guys good.