This has been a bumper year for crops in Alaska and the beets we are seeing at the farmers market are large enough to justifiably write songs about. The beets coming out of our garden are much, much…much, smaller, but I’m still excited that I was able to grow them from seed. Last night I decided to throw a few of the little guys into a batch of stuffed mushrooms and they were pretty amazing.
- Rinse, de-stem and lightly spray mushrooms with olive oil
- Chop mushroom stems, 1/4 cup onion, half a fresh de-seeded jalapeno and 1/2 TB shallots and throw into a pan with 1/2 TB butter
- Chop 2-3 teeny tiny beets and add to the pan, as well as 2 inches smoked reindeer sausage
- Add salt, pepper, garlic salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Saute until most of the moisture has left the pan
- Grate Parmesan cheese over empty mushroom caps, spoon mixture from pan into caps
- Grate more parm because it’s good
- Bake at 375* for 20 minutes, serve and enjoy!
The beets made for some super color and the sausage added some great texture and taste!