It’s soup season. And what is easier (and yummier) than egg drop soup. I can almost guarantee you have most of this stuff in your kitchen already and it takes all of maybe 15 minutes to make.
- Peel and thinly slice 2 carrots, throw into a soup pot
- If you’re feeling mushroomy, slice 5 halved mushrooms and add to pot as well
- Add 2 cups chicken broth to pot and bring to boil – simmer your carrots and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes
- Add 3 more cups chicken broth (sub a cup of beef broth for one of those if you want the flavor to be a tad more complex) and simmer
- Add 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage – Napa or savoy is my favorite
- Add 2 whole eggs and 1 yolk to a cup and quickly whisk, set aside
- Whisk 1 1/2 TB corn starch in 1/2 cup water and add to broth (the corn starch makes the egg silky)
- Slowly pour your eggs into the broth gently whisking the soup with a chopstick (or whatever high tech tool you have to break up the egg).
- Liberally pepper
- Garnish with green onions
This is so easy. And so good. You’ll thank me. Now, get that soup going.