Last weekend I went a little crazy at Costco and bought the 50# bag of bread flour. Why? Because it was only $20 and I use bread flour for almost everything (it makes things lighter and fluffier and awesomer). So of course I get to make as many loaves of fresh bread as I want. With gumbo on the menu for tonight, I thought a loaf of nice, sexy, French bread would be the winning touch.
- Proof 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast in 1 1/4 cup warm water (80-90 degrees)
- Add 3 cups flour, 2 tsp sugar & 1 tsp salt to mixing bowl
- Mix with dough hook until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary
- Rise in an oiled bowl until doubled
- Punch down, roll out into a rectangle on a well floured surface, then roll to form a tube – pinch ends together and rise, covered, for another 30-45 minutes, slice lines just before baking
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes (add a dish of water to the oven while baking for a crisper crust
And yes. I tastes even better than it looks.