We have been making our own butter now for quite awhile and it’s probably the easiest thing in the world aside from growing mold.
Take a gallon of heavy cream, pour into the bowl in your mixer with 1/2 TB salt and run it on medium speed until the butter separates from the buttermilk (about 10 minutes). First you will get whipped cream, then it will slowly start to solidify. Press your butter into blocks or containers and save the buttermilk for some yummy Irish Soda Bread (or ranch dressing as the husband likes to make):
- Mix 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda & 3/4 tsp salt* in a bowl (*note: if you are using the buttermilk remaining from your homemade butter, skip the salt as your milk will already be salted)
- Add 1 cup buttermilk to the mixture and stir to form a soft dough
- Either knead on a floured surface or in the bowl for 2-3 minutes
- Form the dough into a round loaf about 8 inches across – cross hatch with a knife to spiff it up
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350*
- The bread is done when it sounds hollow after a light thump
- For a softer crust, wrap in a clean tea towel and set the bread on it’s side to cool
I can’t think of many things better than fresh bread…unless of course you’re pairing it with fresh butter. Excuse me while I go unhinge my face….